Version Excursion

Overlooked cover versions pt.2376 - ace mellow go-go cosmic disco cover of Lorde - Royals

2 Likes

Now you’re talking!

Canada’s answer to Paul McGrath

Fly Robin Fly

Mama Used To Say

Low Rider

3 Likes

An ace b-side from an otherwise very dull UK cabaret band who won New Faces in about 1973. It has involvement from Chris White of The Zombies and Mike Moran. They were clearly influenced by the Three Dog Night version, and it may not be a particularly fashionable sound right now, but I like it!

2 Likes

Couple of Barry Biggs-related lovers covers

He produced this fab version of Diana’s “It’s my house”

3 Likes

Excellent cover of the classic Heatwave track. I’ve played this so often over the years. It’s got a real Blues Party / Stepper feel to it, which I love.

3 Likes

Interesting to hear him copying the same semi-strangulated Kermit-style vocal that Leo uses on the original…!

1 Like

Some 80’s style funk from Aretha, underpinned by Marcus Miller’s bass. Luther Vandross arrangement and production.

1 Like

I file this one under “Balkan Mafia Funeral Music”:

1 Like

So good, I had this on a Ubiquity Rewind promo 12" and played the shit out of it!

1 Like

Not heard that before - fantastic! Thanks!

1 Like

Same here. I still have my copy, played it out as recently as a month ago. Might as well post the other 2 tracks, both of which are excellent covers, so they fit this thread…

A super funky uptempo version of the Mighty Ryeders classic:

A strange hypnotic clunky hip hop version of Burt’s Look of Love:

I posted that PPP track on a Bacharach appreciation thread, and I recall that the vox were a source of some speculation…

Burt Bacharach appreciation thread - #39 by Rodney-Bennett

1 Like

This Mighty Ryeders version into De La Rollerskating slaps hard!

3 Likes

Sorry, this is somewhat obvious, but I love it.

Introduced to me by the totally awesome Don Letts collection Version Excursion - now there’s a coincidence! - part of the the Late Night Tales series. Chockablock full of tremendous versions of well known songs and their various covers. Notable to me for several that I really did not like at first but have since become enamored with.

I think I have two of the ‘Black Feeling’ (version/covers) LPs - Lance from the Bamboo’s with some regular sidekicks - and this is my favourite …

2 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

Love that Prince fatty and the dub.
A few more decent covers by him on this

1 Like

Love this, first heard on a Coldcut compilation I think?

Great, innit? Bobby Shad has a good story too. Rob Life recommended that and I think he said he got it from that Coldcut comp too.

That Mighty Ryeders version!! Amazing, thanks.

2 Likes

I used to think Miles Davis’ version of Time After Time was amazing, but on recent listening I’m not sure if it now sounds like one of those royalty free tracks to use in the background of a YouTube crafting video.
However, I have just found this rougher mix where the backing sounds less programmed:

And lots of live versions that get slower & slower as the years go on:

1 Like