Hello and welcome back

Course I remember you from VV/VG+ days, Bill ! I always appreciated your willingness to give the same sort of consideration to an album track by a largely forgotten 70s TV celeb like David Hamilton as you would to a sought-after UK boogie 12" :grinning:
Incidentally, me and my missus were on your list for the book event at the Groucho a couple of months ago. I’m the nerd who ID’d the original source for that Jerk Boy edit you were playing! :+1:

That Jerk Boy was a good spot. The album it’s from is pretty decent, too (obviously I bought it)!

Dont want to start a thread on it and apologies if out of place/inappropriate but has the Test Pressing forum gone pop?

2 Likes

temporarily, yes. Piers has work to do, apparently…

4 Likes

Yeah Paul msgd me about it yesterday.

3 Likes

It’s a first time “hello” from me here. I should probably change my name to DJ Emeritus it’s so long since I spun out. Like decades! But I have a respectable home rig and a load of vinyl from back in the day, not to mention too many of those little shiny things. Wait! ERROR, there is no such thing as too many little shiny things whatever the shelving system may think.

Once upon a time, the 1980s, I was a peripatetic club DJ in San Francisco. I started off with punk in a little club called Le Disque on Haight Street between the bands, which I suppose you’d have to call “new wave” for the most part. Well, you know deejaying punk singles is hard work - they’re damn short! Plus the nihilistic tendencies of so many of them did not suit my basically hippy mood. I really was a bit old to be a punk by UK standards, but we weren’t so strict in San Francisco. So, I moved on into more of a reggae/funk groove. But still mixed it up a bit. I don’t think many tapes survive, which is probably a good thing.

Then, it must have been 1982, I heard King Sunny Ade and my life went down the African rabbit hole. There really wasn’t much to find at that time, but I dug away at it and by 1984 could do four-hour sets of all “world beat,” which included soca and reggae and some of that odd mixed-up stuff coming from the UK. A little salsa. And I’d add some hip-hop and go-go. I was kind of the “go-to white guy” for an evening of tropical music and did special nights at many of SF’s clubs. Things were pretty good and eventually I had my own regular night at a place then called The 16th Note on the edge of the Mission. Success! Well, for awhile. The decent owner of the club got shoved out by his crackhead partners and eventually so did I. They had some crazy idea about putting on live bands instead of the best DJ in town!

I did a few more years of wandering, some all-nighters - for real, I’d spin from midnight to 8 am at illegal after-hours drinking joints, some cushy opening spots for touring bands at respectable venues, a few weddings - but at that time $100 for a set was about normal, so eventually some sense of reality sunk in and I took a day job. Which was not so bad ‘cos it at least started with digital presentation of music on CD-ROMs, pre-internet or at least browsers, and lead to some interesting places, although I have to admit that I did not quite grok all the future implications of digiwhatnot at the time.

Anyway, I now entertain myself by staying up late, messing around with tunes, making the very occasional mix tape for my truck on a cassette ‘cos there ain’t any other kind, and dancing away, hopefully imaginatively and with style - the only form of exercise I believe in.

Was there a question about drugs? Herb is the thing! A long time since I used anything else except fine IPA. And caffeine.

PS My profile photo is from even before I was a DJ.

10 Likes

And I’m on a PNW island too!

Before deepconcentration asks, Whidbey.

3 Likes

looks like the good ship TP sails on once again :grinning:

5 Likes

Glad to be here. Looking to get back into DJing. Look forward to reading cool threads and sharing any great tracks I find.

6 Likes

Hey Wolfgang! I’m just on the main Island, in Duncan.
There are occasionally good events for dancing in Victoria. Find me (Andrew Allsgood) on socials and I can keep you posted if you like. :call_me_hand:

Another PN-dubber! Nice one! Herb IS the word in this part of the world :face_in_clouds::face_in_clouds::face_in_clouds:

Yes, I’m very dubber. Mostly old school, as you might expect, Tubby and the ‘70s in all that vintage glory - but also a thriving sideline in that late ‘90s-early ‘00s digidub stuff. Not to mention the slightly earlier ambient dub addiction provoked by the Original Rockers and the Cake label. One of the things I liked about that amapiano mix from Tull’ski was its slight dubby feel.

The big problem with herb in Washington is that it’s all sold sealed. No sniff first. Well, that’s the legal system. Oregon sells it loose. Much more accommodating to us old school tokers. But a long drive from here, where we have three herb stores within twenty minutes drive. And it’s cheaper than beer.

2 Likes

Sorry for the late reply, Andrew. Living on Galiano doesn’t make it easy for nightlife adventures in town. That said I’m planning on going at least once or twice to Vancouver for some upcoming Moodhut related event. I can sleep on Jack’s couch if that happens:)
Victoria is more of an unknown to me.
Cheers,

Wolfgang

1 Like

Nice one. Eddie C is playing at my friends party in Vic on April 7th and I believe the same guy is welcoming Dane in early May.
The promoter has been amassing lots of vintage hi-fi gear, Klipch Lescalla’s and a host of other sexy speakers and the parties are not in traditional bars/clubs.
Have fun at the Moodhut party! Jack J’s tunes are
great! :call_me_hand:

1 Like

Hi Zucker! Glad to see another old face around here :wink: I’ve been away for a while, getting older makes me a bit of a random human being.
Well, still gardening, though, even if we’re experiencing a sort of lack of water down here and some plants are gone… craving for rain, plenty of :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Greetings music lovers
I used to post on several music forums through the heady 00’s and even met a lot of good folks IRL thru them. Alas they mostly became dumpster fires or barren wastelands, but my sixth sense for this stuff has led me here. I’ve recycled my old profile pic, and I can also be found on IG with the same username
I’m in Melbourne, with my musical interests mainly in the areas of NZ stuff, Australian jazz and most things Jamaican (from late 60’s rocksteady through to early 80’s stuff with the fingerprints of Sly & Robbie, Roots Radics, Scientist etc). Other funk, soul, jazz and African goodness also gets a look it, but its hard to be the everywhere-man!
Still purchase a few things each month, with a plethora of local shops to haunt which is fantastic given postage rates have gone bonkers. When not listening to music or wrangling my kids I’m working through a bevvy of music-related books on the shelves, and am currently near the end of John Sangster’s reasonably engaging autobiography ‘Seeing the rafters’

6 Likes

I think we’re going to have some fun together. :notes::musical_score::long_drum::saxophone::drum:

Welcome! You’re lucky to be in Melbourne if you’re interests incline towards African music. DJ Manchild has just opened his Old Plates record shop in Brunswick with a lifetime of digging in Nigeria and Ghana in the racks. Sadiq bahar just did a memorable instore gig there as well

1 Like

Hello! Patrick here - nephew of Little Beaver, was on the old forum a gazillion years ago and possess many lovely old LL memories. Intervening years been a not entirely uncharted path of becoming older, developing a more shapely figure, having a family and buying loads of records. Great to see so many amazingly knowledgeable old names back on here

4 Likes

Hello- I’m Neil - Ex professional lurker - Decided to make a contribution. Essex (don’t hold it against me) via London & now Cardiff. Electrical mechanical contract supervisor by day - Dad (at 47 !!) - terrible husband - full time somewhat irrational dedication to crabsticks - Looking good for 52 - Lover of all things club & DJ culture. Werd

2 Likes