Can we talk about how good the Matthew Burgess Mystery Mix is?

Hot damn, this mix is good. Anybody else listen to it?

Would also love some IDS (specifically @ 8 minutes in)

3 Likes

An all time classic from @matthew

The ID youā€™re after is Risco Connection - Reggae Music ā€¦ I can post the whole track list if you like or would that spoil the fun :grinning:

2 Likes

Thank you! Iā€™m a sucker for that bell sound.

I will take you up on the whole track list so I can use it as a failsafe (assuming I will drive myself crazy looking for some of these)

Thanks Jolyon!!

Iā€™m going to hazard a guess for this at around 12 mins inā€¦ ???

7 Likes

Correct! Great record and hard to find on 12ā€ now.

2 Likes

Great tune this, had the mix on in the car earlier and this stood right out but the whole thing is chock full of goodness

ah forgot the tracklist was online!

It was this version I think.
Marianne Faithfull ā€“ Sex With Strangers (Sly & Robbie Dub Mix) - YouTube

2 Likes

Thank you @GiuseppeV!

Canā€™t believe it was the very early 00s (I think) when I did this. These were the days before Spotify, before you could listen to music on YouTube, before Soulseek and when the internet arrived via dial-up. We found music by talking about it (in person and on DJH) often before listening to it. And of course by combing through market stalls, charity shops and record stores looking for some kind of clue in the sleeve or label that the record you had in your hand was some sort of hidden gem. At this time I was living in a semi-derelict shop on Deptford High Street, with a basement full of the results of these searches - some of which were indeed gems. Others not so muchā€¦

I remember it being a very big deal to do a Mystery Mix for DJH! I obviously wanted to lay down the gauntlet of obscure geekery for my fellow spotters, but it was v important that the records were not just obscure, but actually fucking good.

DJH may have been partly about the stroking of the beard, but IMO it was more about the quickening of the pulse. The ā€˜ooh, whatā€™s that?ā€™ thrill of hearing something new and amazing. DJH was the best music forum because a) it was more about sharing that thrill than rarity wank and b) because it was symbiotically connected to Low Life, which was where this music came fully to life.

Finding a great record feels good. Sharing a great record on a forum full of proper music lovers feels good too. But being part of a room of dancing loons who are losing their collective minds to that great record - this is what the records were made for and, back then especially, this was what drove me to dig.

The only rule for Mystery Mixes was that the tracks needed to have been officially released. I also wanted to make sure that mine had music from across my life that I felt a connection to, so there was one from my birth year and one that had just been released as well as a few that had meant a great deal to me growing up. At LL back then Jo and Iā€™s back room was the ā€˜anything but houseā€™ room and so I wanted my Mystery Mix to follow that principle, including reggae, new wave, hi-nrg, synth pop, Christian rock, indie, electronic music, disco, even Romo :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve not done many mixes because each one takes me ages. This one was no exception. Fuck spontaneity. It was exhaustively planned and rehearsed and recorded in one go. The CD ran out at the end and so the last track (which was You Look Like A Lady by Lee Hazlewood) is missing.

Thanks for listening!

30 Likes

ā€œFinding a great record feels good. Sharing a great record on a forum full of proper music lovers feels good too. But being part of a room of dancing loons who re losing their collective minds to that great record - this is what the records were made for and, back then especially, this was what drove me to dig.ā€

word!

3 Likes

Yes to all the above! This mix makes me think of really happy times bumming around at your derelict shop doing edits and searching through your incredible basement. Both of us making barely a living through playing records at west end bars and other occasional freelance stuff. Good memories :heart:

4 Likes

Pure gold! Amazing mix <3

Indeed comrade! Itā€™s mindboggling now to think of how little was needed in order to get by in those days. Iā€™d pay in the cash I got from my dj gigs alongside the shopkeepers each Monday at HSBC in Deptford, and sweep the market for records every Wednesday and Saturday. Like another worldā€¦

1 Like

@Slobodan lovely to see your name here again! Thank you :slight_smile:

The passion and wonder definitely shows in this mix, which is why itā€™s so funā€¦Itā€™s not just a mix filled of holy grails or songs that flex your knowledge of trendy stuff. Itā€™s a real musical journey, my favorite type of mix. Kudos!!!

2 Likes

ā€¦then it has done what it came to do @GiuseppeV ! Thank you (again).

1 Like

also the best Originals CD out of the series

5 Likes

@matthew - Just wanted you to know, youā€™re ā€˜Who dares to love foreverā€™ mix was an absolute gamechanger for me and really opened my eyes. I remember listening to it on an evening train journey to Leamington Spa and being blown away. Kudos.

2 Likes

Thank you (and hello again) @Pablodiscobar
I just bask in @jolyon ā€˜s reflected glory tbh #somebodytoldme

ps IN YOUR FACE @LindaDiFranco :sunglasses:

4 Likes