Uncommon time signature electronic music

I’m going down a chin stroking rabbit hole looking out for electronic music (any genre, but mostly down tempo, leftfield stuff) that has uncommon time signatures. 5/8, 7/8, 3/4, 6/8, etc……the weirder the better!!
All suggestions welcome!

Here are a few examples:

2 Likes

Here’s one from about 1983, it’s by a French electronic musician, and is a cover of an old Dave Brubeck track in 7/4 time. On the face of it, it really shouldn’t work, but it does… Well, it does for me, at least!

1 Like

Omar’s version is also dope with a nice moog-y synth

Isn’t that just 4/4? Here’s 7:

1 Like

Isn’t this just 4/4?

1 Like

Isn’t this just 4/4 also?

1 Like

This one is never far from my box Larry Heard - Question Of Time

3 Likes

Barry Gray wrote this pastiche of Dave Brubeck’s Take Five for an episode of Gerry Anderson’s Fireball XL5. It sounds a bit as if he took sheet music of the original and just played it in reverse.

Something else in 5/4:

3 Likes

Circuitous | Afrikan Sciences sure there’s a couple of odd n’s on here

1 Like

Old Smokey has a nice edit of the Stranglers one which I copped on his Bandcamp!

2 Likes

Great great tune. Got that on Give Em Enough Dope comp years ago. How the hell do you count it? I count 4, 3, 4, 4, 3, 4, 4, 3, 4; then a time change with phrases of 15 (4,4,4,3?), then some 8s, then back to the original tempo and so on. All while sounding like never batting an eye or breaking a sweat. Bad MF.

2 Likes

I just drop it, or stick it on a two beat loop and fade up slowly and then release the loop

1 Like

This is quite subtle, but it’s 6/4 rather than 4/4:

3 Likes

In order to fully appreciate Hey Ya, I’d recommend listening to a group of people (including several musicians and singers) trying to sing (and dance to) a karaoke version. I did, and it was like a post-modern version of the Portsmouth Sinfonia!!

2 Likes

Ah, yes! I think you’re right. In which case, that’s an example of me hearing but not listening! I think the off-beats in the Chany version are creating the impression of something more complex than it actually is, and I know the original is in 7/4, so… :person_shrugging::smiley:

2 Likes

7/8?

2 Likes

Some Ian O’Brien stuff.

e.g. Collective Invention (can’t find it online anywhere though)

1 Like