The DJ Mix Thread: Post your latest/greatest DJ Mixes here

Post your latest/greatest DJ mixes here…

I will go first…

"This mix is completely inspired by the life changing experience of living in Berlin between 2011-18. I was lucky enough to play in the city nearly every month for almost 8 years at a variety of great venues and I took full advantage of the adventurous set times I was often given. I was often booked to play the morning sets, which was amazing as I didn’t have the pressure of the peak time set and I could really experiment in clubs with crowds who danced until midday and with powerful sound systems which made the records sound even better. I was able to play at a wide range of clubs as a DJ in Berlin because I could play most shades of house, techno (but not the super hard stuff), broken beat, disco, UKG stuff, jazzy stuff and more. This was actually an asset I think as I could play disco influenced stuff in the red room at Renate, the deepest house ever in the lobby at Blank or swingy raw techno and electro in the Silo at Muehle. 8 hours back to back with Franklin De Costa in the main room at Kater Holzig starting at 6am on a Sunday morning, playing in the morning after Bambounou at Chalet, warming up for Danny Wang at Renate, covering for Jazzanova at Fete De La Musique, playing the day after I arrived at Woodys birthday at Heidegluhn (there were a few untagged photos on FB after that) - the variety of DJing possible was amazing.

I was often booked from 4-8am, 6-9am (breakfast set) or even sometimes 8-12am. I would try to have an early night - get a few hours of excited half sleep and then head to the club around 1 hour before I played. I used to turn up and people would be FUCKED but that was great as it meant they would appreciate the music more. I would have a few rapid shots of vodka or pfeffi depending on the venue to get myself feeling a bit dizzy and begin to play. 3 hours is the standard set time in Berlin clubs which is a perfect set length for me - enough time to have a few peaks, twists and turns. Club wise, I would say this mix is inspired by playing at places like Loftus Hall circa 2012, Mothers Finest at Griessmuehle circa 2016 and of course all the times I played at About Blank back in the day. I never really had to compromise musically in Berlin - apart from playing a bit more harder and manic. Which suited me fine.

In terms of tunes - it’s vinyl only - not to be wanky - I just don’t have any CDJs at home, quite a lot of it comes from Diamonds and Pearls distribution in Berlin - huge shouts to Johannes for being generous with the test pressings over the years and also some bits I picked up at the great Bikini Waxx shop in Berlin - I really like their selection there, and of course OYE records who were also my go to shop in Berlin. But yeah vibes wise, I just wanted to get down some of the more techno and jacking vibes I like. Hope you enjoy it. "

4 Likes