Rahaan disco not disco

It was one of Smash’s monikers for some of the Eightball releases wasn’t it

3 Likes

any chance for a re-up on this one? cheers

1 Like

Back in the day it was called “Mutant Disco,” generally referring to releases on Ze Records and its ilk.

Multiple compilation releases with that title - and, of course, Was (Not Was) were prominent on the label at that time.

My opinion is that, while appealing, the X Not X tag is a marketing neologism rather than particularly meaningful, sort of like “Yacht Rock.”

1 Like

I will admit that after perusing the tracklists of the Disco Not Disco compilations at more length that the music on them goes far beyond Ze Records’ patented form of madness.

I was pretty enthused by Ze Records back when. Still have a fondness for many of the tracks.

2 Likes

Ze put out some pretty surprising stuff, a lot of which still sounds pretty good to my ears. I loved a lot of the August Darnell-associated material.

The X (not X) formulation has its value - describing a track to someone as being “a bit Reggae (not Reggae)” is a convenient shorthand.

2 Likes

here

4 Likes

On the Ze Records side of things: a very entertaining episode of the Rock’s Backpages podcast with Michael Zilkha…

4 Likes

lol where’s pringbat? gotta bring him back.

3 Likes

I’ve been looking all over for this mix and can’t find it anywhere - missed the upload by a few days here, any chance i could be cheeky and ask someone to reupload it?

1 Like

I didnt know that and ive loved that band for decades. This is why i come on here. cheers!

1 Like

and, please, one more time.
any chance for a re-up on this one?

I’ll post it somewhere so the future can find it…

There we go.

1 Like