Steel Pan Disco & House

Got stuck in the YouTube vortex the other day and ended up on this video which looks a lot of fun:

It sort of gave me the idea to start a thread about Steel Pan Disco and House music. I’m sure there are quite a few great track out there that feature this instrument, and if there’s one place people would know enough to share what they are, it would be a forum full of house heads.

Here are a couple to start it off. Same song, different bands.

4 Likes

This for starters…

2 Likes

And not forgetting…

Interesting video on the background to the above. Pretty sure the Melodians Steel Orchestra occassionally practice in the school at the end of our street…

2 Likes

On the Disco tip…

1 Like

Love this

1 Like

Ok so not house nor disco but a great steel pan dancefloor tune nonetheless…

4 Likes

Monster baseline on this Todd one too

4 Likes

I love this!

Keep em coming!

Arguably Mr Williams opus magnum has steel drums, with their own solo…

JMJ did what he did and, err, synthed up the steel drums,… hmm =/

Played at +16 or 45rpms this might be considered disco/house :slight_smile:

Steel drums’ posh wooden cousin, the marimba count?..

2 Likes

Couple from American Steel, the instrumental of Hustlin’ Time is even more Steel Pan-rific than the vocal here.

1 Like

Never heard that - ultimate mash up of styles!

This is on this brilliant comp on the same label as the Disc O Lypso one

Various - West Indies Funk 3 | Releases | Discogs

I think I heard it on a Mr Thing comp on BBE? There’s also a tasty re-edit / extension 12" by Velvet Season and The Hearts of Gold

That’s right, forgot I’ve also got this Velvet Season & The Hearts Of Gold – Love Coma / Magic Wand Steel Band (2016, Vinyl) - Discogs

1 Like

Love this topic. I always look for steel bands, but it’s tough to find the funky ones. Great idea!

1 Like
3 Likes

I’m going off topic in my own topic but this has to be shared:

1 Like

Classic - which hasnt been mentioned yet…

Forgot that we (too) sampled this for our Rhythm Plate track ‘Across The Delta’ - the version that came out on our “Its Not An Album…” album. Which was actually the first version we wrote, unlike the later ‘self remix’ released in 2005 on F&R. Yawn…

1 Like
5 Likes

Awesome!! Very very funky this…