Interesting music from Eastern Europe before the wall fell

I found this mix I picked up by Vladmir Ivkovic which focuses on adventurous sounds from Yugoslavia really interesting. Didn’t recognise a thing. Lots of quite new wave/post punk sounds, alongside some quite psychedelic fare.

https://boomkat.com/products/yugoslavian-lunatic-love-songs

I’m guessing the then Yugoslavia was a lot more culturally open than many other communist countries of the time. I’m curious about similarly adventurous sounds from the other side of the 20th C political divide in Europe - does anyone have any recommendations of music, mixes, comps etc which explore music from Eastern Bloc?

While on this theme, one really cool album I picked up a few years ago was this reissue of a Russian electronic jazz thing from 1990 - sounds a bit like something Moritz Von Oswald would come out with these days, by Vladimir Tarasov

2 Likes

I’ve got some of these Polish Funk compilations which have some great tracks, but nothing especially different to anything from Western Europe at the time.

https://www.discogs.com/label/691916-Polish-Funk

Apparantly Italo was quite big in Poland during the '80s but I’ve yet to hear any succesful home grown version of it yet.

Here’s a couple of tracks by a Latvian band from 1980:

There’s a better known one from the same album called Pacific which is on Morgan Geist’s 2004 Unclassics compilation, but personally I find it a bit irritating.

3 Likes

Hotaru edit from a couple of years back. I will freely admit to not going that deep into the Wikipedia for Bajaga i Instruktori, but it sounds like they were /are quite the thing in Yugoslavia / Serbia

2 Likes

Lots of great stuff came out behind the Berlin Wall. I still have a load of this stuff stashed away somewhere. It’s interesting to hear how Western styles did insinuate themselves into the Eastern Bloc - which surprises me because very little Western music got commercial releases there.

Here’s a great track called Torpedo from the Novi Singers from the former Yugoslavia. They come across like Swingle Singers on acid (a very good thing, in my book👍).

Another off the same album, it sounds like a psychedelic version of Burt Bacharach’s South American Getaway (off the Butch Cassidy OST)

4 Likes

Another one that springs to mind - the OST to an east German TV series called Die Unsichtbare Visier (translates as ‘The Invisible Vizor’). I think this track got sampled by someone - can’t remember who though. It’s a kind of afro/easy/funk thing. The guy who composed the soundtrack (Walter Kubiczeck) is worth looking out for as he did quite a lot of good stuff.

3 Likes

That Torpedo song is great! One to look into more for sure!

2 Likes

these are really great.

1 Like

Key did some pretty ace bits pre-88

Key - Key | Releases | Discogs

1 Like

Always had a soft spot for this quirky Czech cover from 1978

1 Like

Not sure if this was East or West?

1 Like

That’s really cool - never heard of them - shall check

Quite a few quirky covers from Czech republic. I really like this one.

4 Likes

You seem to have a thing for quirky covers of I Can’t Go For That …!

Here’s a version of the Keith Mansfield tune L-Dopa, performed by Variety Orchestra Of Georgia

Pretty sure there’s another decent track on here, but can’t find my copy so can’t remember what it is - sorry!

@MusicForHangovers This one?

2 Likes

Yes, that’s the one! Got a kind of jazzy-Eurovision feel to it :+1:

So you’ve noticed?! :rofl: :nerd_face:

TBH, I have a thing for weird covers full stop.

1 Like

Don’t know if you’re familiar with the Christoph Spendel Group, but he’s a Polish musician who made this super Balearic jazz music. He seems to have grown up in Germany. This is one of my faves:

1 Like

Slovenian jazz-rockers

Polish funk

1 Like
1 Like