Digital DJs: how do you organise music?

Have just finished renaming the 30 tracks I bought on Cyber Monday. Renamed them with BPM, artist, song/tune title. Moved them into the main download file ready to copy across to the huge external drive that holds about 4,000 tracks.

Don’t have much to add to this as I’ve left my dj days behind, but it’s slowly dawning on me that I’ll probably get rid of the rest of my records within the next few years. I seriously never listen to them anymore as I always choose digital instead.

I’m sure my wife wouldn’t exactly object to have the (approximately) 2K records I still own out of our bedroom, which is the only place I have room for them… :laughing:

4 Likes

I have suggested to my family several times that I want to get rid of my collection, but they won’t let me. They seem to think that I have some kind of emotional connection to the mouldy crates in the garage.

I doubt I’ll get rid of everything, as I simply cannot be arsed to digitize the lot at this point.

But yet another cull to reduce the amount of it is probably in the books.

I’ll look after them for you Bob :wink:

2 Likes

I moved my turntable from the living room to the studio today, to slowly ease back into the digitizing.

I’ll report back in a couple of years…

3 Likes

Maybe I’ll make my Discogs page public for a couple of days and you can decide if it’s worth hiring a transit to cart them down from Scotland

3 Likes

For 1 week only you can have a browse. Made it private to stop people asking for rips of obscure singles.
My Collection - Discogs

1 Like

I like to organise by bpm, but not in the sense of having 100, 120, 130 bpm folders.

On the contrary, I like to organise by halves, so 80 and 160s go in the same folders, ditto 90s and 170s, or 70s/140s etc. or sometimes when mixing in thirds 105s with 140s.

2 Likes

After a recent external drive loss (left it in airport security and never got it back….yes it was my back up) I’ve been swamped with organizational problems. I need help and time….

But what I’m really thinking is that starting over from (almost) scratch will be just fine. I’m playing twice monthly for 2hrs a set. Wide arcs across genres. No shortage of music, really.

New sounds for a new year, new set up.

But organizing would be something new and frightening…….

Can you give me an example of someone doing this and it sounding good?

To be clear, i am not saying it can’t be done, i am more interested to hear it done properly, and with interesting music.

1 Like

I remember finding reading the “I sold my entire record collection” piece strangely life-affirming.

I might get around to taking up digital DJing. I might not. I did briefly own a pair of CDJ 1000s in the 00s, and I’ve got rekordbox on my laptop now.

Does the world need any more DJs? Probably not.

Does the world need any more DJs? Probably not.

Definitely not but that doesn’t stop the bankers and the lawyers so I never let it stop me.

5 Likes

Perhaps a new thread, but it’s almost like someone said this was going to happen…

Won’t there come a time when it’s considered laughable that mixing was anything other than harmonic?

I bloody hope not! key mixing is the enemy, all about sets entirely composed out of dissonant transitions.

dunno, I don’t really follow many modern djs so couldn’t say. and I’m not going to toot my own horn cos I’m my own worst critic when it comes to mixing. But of course like all djs I egotistically think I have the best music collection in the world…

A delibarately dissonant mix is something entirely different. And you know very well I wasn’t talking about staying in the same key all set.

i’m just saying. the strange tonalities and key clashes in synthetic, and later rave music could be evocations of the sublime.

A topic I never thought I’d find so fascinating. Perhaps I’ll yet go digital, but getting set up sounds like so much work. And fundamentally I am both lazy and somewhat overwhelmed. Yeah, I am the old DJ with the world’s best collection! Legend in my own mind - but I never want to move again.

I gotta say, getting the crates home and safe late at night could be a major drag. And there was always the danger of vinyl going astray. I was always very careful, but it happened on one occasion. Went to Amoeba a few days later and had to buy it back.

1 Like