Tunes about the type of music they are

I was wondering if folk could think of any examples of tunes that talked about the type of music they were… like this wee history lesson.

2 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

Actually, this is probably a better example than DISCO!

2 Likes
2 Likes

Classic 90s how to make a house record:

This came out a few years ago and may well be the ultimate, literally constructed from about 15 different tracks:

3 Likes

Love the Dangerous Dan one. Made all the better by the frisson that the Jive-Bunny-but-good concept could come out absolutely horrible, but doesn’t. Wonder if there’s an extended edit to be done with a bit more of the source material in it, or whether that would actually break it

Does repeatedly saying the type of music count as being ‘about’? Probably not. Joining a conversation about football and repeatedly just saying the word ‘football’ will almost certainly result in not being in that conversation for very long, but I’d like to sneak this one from earlier in the year in nonetheless, because I like it very much. It also spells the word, which is very useful.

4 Likes

Back to the days when pretty much every house track had to reference ‘house music’…

2 Likes

There are probably countless Hip Hop tracks about Hip Hop, here’s one.

“rock died down, then came along pop, now your living in a world of hip hop” *

*interestingly, over the years Pop became Hip Hop (or at least a major influence on Pop) no way Shan could have saw this coming when he wrote this track.

3 Likes

Am I cheating here…? :smiley::wink:

1 Like
1 Like

Shan’s mate has a few…

2 Likes

I know what you mean, it’s kinda corny and also the way he says Larry Levorrnn is pretty weird too, but it really works on a dancefloor and you can’t argue with that!

1 Like

…and to when every other acid house track had to reference ‘acid’!

2 Likes

Not everyone understands…

3 Likes

That’s where I’m going wrong with my football chat…

1 Like

I think you’ve mistaken the brief. that’s a song about a man and what he wants and wants people to do with his willy. Famously covered by Charley Lownoise and Mental Theo https://youtu.be/5FDob6MxQos?si=bCPtlpyzE6wMmOxN

1 Like