Heaviest funky rock bangers

OK so to get the forum motored up, let’s start with some grufty rock records that slam on a dancefloor. I’ve got some to get you going, including this one which I first learnt about from Theo in The Wiseguys. It includes the memorable lyric, “We’ll build a far-out factory; and manufacture harmony.”

9 Likes

Here’s Anita Sarawak, who was born in Singapore, but wound up in Las Vegas, with her groovy version of Wild Thing.

2 Likes

Buzz Clifford, one-hit wonder with Baby Sittin’ Boogie in 1961, made this swamp-funk banger in 1969.

2 Likes

And bringing us up to date, here’s T Rex impersonator Devendra Banhart with I Feel Just Like A Child (a song title you’d definitely worry about if it was Gary Glitter).

2 Likes

I’ve been going through some very early UK disco charts (72/73) and this monster was doing the business…

4 Likes

Not exactly heavy but definitely works in a club (thanks Idjuts)

6 Likes

Just realised how much Mercury Rising Vol 3 has nicked off this cover design!

I always found this to be quite groovy - the psychedelic reinvention of Kentish Town 60s mod legends The Action.

3 Likes

James Murphy likes to use Back In Black to roadtest Despacio when they set it up apparently, but this is only time AC/DC really got a groove on…

3 Likes

As included on my funky rock compilation from 2006 :slight_smile:

1 Like

RIP dan mccafferty.

kind of a shame he didn’t go with the double-T in his name, he would have had the trifecta of double letters.

6 Likes

Had no idea that comp existed Bill. May possibly be my first discogs purchase of the new DJH era (unless you’ve got any copies knocking about that you want to sell…)

I’m afraid I don’t Steve, they went in the big fire sale three years ago!

1 Like

A Mancuso Loft favorite apparently, although I never heard him play it.

8 Likes

Big one for me in the Mangiami days…

4 Likes
2 Likes

Almost anything from their Bulletproof album would fit in here but Jay Time is my favourite. And funkiest.

1 Like

Definite Shack Up vibes

1 Like

Pre-‘All Right Now’ Free

1 Like