Female Rap Songs

Hello beautiful hive mind,

Just a thread to share your favourite female led (or featuring) rap tunes.

I’ll start with this iconic track from the wordsmith Lauryn Hill…

2 Likes

Somewhat betraying the era I was bitten by the dancing music bug

2 Likes
1 Like

One of the first, still one of the best imho:

She was the 16(?) year-old daughter of the label owner, seem to recall the story being that he got her to freestyle over a backing track during some studio down-time. I used to own this on 12"!

7 Likes

Another early one - I first heard it on one of the NME compilation cassettes as discussed on the recent ‘compilation’ thread.

Sha Rock was the “+1” of the Funky 4 + 1

4 Likes

A bit obvious perhaps, but I like it, so…

1 Like
1 Like
5 Likes

Loved this, killer Ike & Tina sample. Graeme Park used to play it at Kool Kat / Garage.

2 Likes

From probably my favourite hip hop album by woman rapper

3 Likes

Love Simz, could have picked any number of tracks but think this a standout

2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

This one is off an old Herbaliser album. Bahamadia on vocal duties once again. Dope beatz too :+1:

OK, so I’m slightly cheating here because only the first verse of this is rapped, the rest is sung. But it’s The Three Degrees and it’s from 1970, and the title of the thread refers to “rap songs”, so…

Edit: I think this was originally written by Sly Stone for his little sister - who was in the band Little Sister. There’s a nice Tom Moulton mix of that version (without rap) on a white label which Moulton made exclusively for Larry Levan. I think it ended up in the possession of Danny Krivit who put it out on one of his own compilations. Aaaanyway, it’s well worth checking out for those who like their disco obscurities!

1 Like

Btw… When I first saw the title of this thread (female rap “songs”) it immediately reminded me of that Stewart Lee monologue about out-of-touch commentary on contemporary youth culture…

Hope I’m not alone in enjoying this!

3 Likes

Great thread

1 Like

Went to see him last Thursday - brilliant.

1 Like
1 Like