What sound system setup you using to listen at home?

Some lovely systems.

It’s taken about 8 years to get to this through selling and upgrading old bits. The only thing I’d like is a really good DAC and I think I’m done.

Technics 1210gr with a AT VM540vl cart
Darlington labs phono stage
Bluesound node for streaming / digital files
Sugden A21se amp
Proac D2 speakers

2 Likes

Still using a similar setup to the one I had 10 years ago. I’ve replaced the laptop with a desktop PC, the old Numark mixer has gone, now using a Reloop bluetooth one. Still got a NDX400 CDJ and one of the Technics 1200Mk2’s still connected up. All this lot run through an old Cambridge Audio amp, 2 KEF shelf speakers and 2 wall mounted Cambridge Audio speakers at the back. Would post a picture but it’s a bit of a shit heap at the moment, dirty coffee cups, piles of CDs, sweety wrappers, etc

1 Like

i have a mess of stuff all over the house, so there will be no photos.

but the studio has:
2x SL1200MK5 with shure m44-7 carts
vestax PMC-25 with rotary mods
and sometimes i bring out a rane 2016 instead

and those feed out via a focusrite scarlett 18i20 to
2x tapco S8 powered studio monitors (cheap and simple) and/or
2x yorkville YSM-1 studio monitors powered by a
crown d-75 amplifier

but i also store a fairly large soundsystem in this basement, so when i feel like irritating the neighbors i can power up
2x mackie SR-1530 powered speakers and
2x mackie SRM-1501 powered subwoofers

obviously none of this is audiophile and i really could probably invest in smaller and better stuff, but it is nice to have choices.

2 Likes

I think you posted pics of your set up on TP. The word ‘audiophile’ has probably come up to counter terrible sounding gigs. Those are decent speakers and subs etc, all this stuff sounds great if run sensibly in my experience. Have you tried elliptical styli carts, I travel with mine as the decks I’m offered to play on usually have styli as old as me, the resulting sound through a generic powered sub and top system is fantastic to be honest.

Just an edit in. Some of the Vestax units had a great lively sound, were used all over the night club world without any concern. I’ve had quite a few mixers through my hands there’s quite a lot of hype over this and the rotary obsession.

1 Like

I’ve ended up with just a few Sonos speakers in the living room, so the days of regular hifi is (at least for the moment) over. Then again, I have a pair of Neumann KH-310As in the studio, so can’t really complain I guess. :wink:

3 Likes

i use some elliptical stylii (stanton 680 EL) that i use now and again and agree - i like the sound. i also have ortofon DJ/S concords that sound pretty good. basic DJ setup stuff, really.

i like the sound of the rane mixer, but i never bought the eq unit for it (and now they’re just dumb expensive) so if i want to actually mix records, i like the vestax better. for the money, it’s got a decent sound to it and it’s not nearly as large as the full rane setup. i’ve had dozens of dj mixers over the years and decided a few years ago that i’m pretty much done chasing new ones. i’ve taken good care of this vestax, it should last a long time.

1 Like

1 Like

1210’s
DJR400
Behringer Truth B2031A’s

2 Likes

A Keith Haring print always helps!

But I think you need a few more records.

I like to look up when I’m crashing mixes and know that Keith would approve. Selection trumps the mix and all that

2 Likes

Given the back of the living room and the garage, Mrs Chris would beg to differ

3 Likes

I’m glad to hear it. I know the story.

Recently bought some JBL 82s - which sound absolutely great. Cactus on top to prevent cat-related damage!

1200s, traktor scratch for digital stuff

Rega Brio amp and a Can Electric Taula 2 mixer.

1 Like

Nice setup but How do you actually use it? Looks quite low to me.

Its Ikea Kallax mate

I stuck a load of IKEA legs on mine, which raises it up.to the perfect height (for me).

1 Like

I am quite tall and therefore envy everyone who can us these IKEA Setups :grinning:
Which Rokits are these and are you happy with them?

2 Likes

Im 6’2" and this height works well. The Rockit 6’s are pretty shite, tbh, but they do a decent enough job for home mixing. They’re quite heavy on the bottom end, as is the Condesa, so its bass central when i crank it.

I’m 5’8" which explains why mine is fine without the feet :grinning:

2 Likes

Well for me (6’6’') it might work kneeling :grinning: Would be an awesome B2B Set…

2 Likes