The fetishization of black homosexuality

And that is always likely to be problematic. Easily done, I suspect we all do it to some extent in some situations.

Certainly in my experience many of them didn’t -unfortunately I have to use the past tense because most of them are no longer with us.

One I remember well was the bass player of a ska-tropical band in San Francisco, The Rhyth-O-Matics, a very good friend. Another ran WARD, the Western Association of Rock DJs, and he was very undisco, a dance rock aficionado from early almost punk days and a fine DJ. One more was a musician in the backing band with Mickey Dolenze of The Monkees! Don’t laugh but I think he was the organ player. This was just about as disco was really taking off.

Of course, I’ve also known a few more flamboyant types but they tended more towards the queen side rather than super stud. Generally fine friendly people.

I understood, I think. Eventually. Remember I first said that I wasn’t clear about what you meant by it. Just prefer to use the word differently.

I’d suggest you’d be far more likely to find, say, a white gas-fitter (is this a sexuality?) into house music, than a black homosexual into the same.

Glad to have opened up the discussion.

Quite possibly. Which may have as much to do with how many white gas-fitters of any sexuality you know compared to how many homosexuals, black, white or otherwise.

But surely, the important issue is why those individuals are into house music. Is the music itself? The scene? The lack of anywhere else to go and dance? The fetishistic desire to meet black homosexuals?

To be honest, these days, I have no worthwhile information about such things except that I am under the general impression that, as a genre, house would mostly be about nostalgia these days. I mean Chicago in the 1980s is not exactly au courant, is it? Or has there been some revival I’m not aware of?

I suppose it may have a steady ongoing clique of fanatics in much the same way as 2-Tone or Goth. Possibly mostly comprised of white gas-fitters.

Maybe I should sell my house 12”s from the ‘80s? Do white gas-fitters have the means of acquiring such desirable items of cultural posterity? I’m not letting them going cheap!

2 Likes