The DJH Great Movie Thread

The Wonder on Netflix

Wow what a film, went in knowing nothing about it and it might be my favourite film of the year. Stark with a beautiful stilness and a wonderful performance from Florence Pugh

Florence Pugh is great. Just watched ‘Don’t Worry Darling’ and thoroughly enjoyed it. See also ‘Midsommar’…

1 Like

I’m going to watch this tonight :+1:

1 Like

Really good viewing.

+1 for Licorice Pizza - fantastic film

2 Likes

During a bout of man flu this week I watched Mike White’s Beatriz At Dinner - Salma Hayek confronting white privilege, similar in feel to White’s TV Show The White Lotus (btw season 2 of that v good so far…).

Bafflingly it only seems to be streamable in the U.K. via Microsoft (I didn’t even know they had a film service) but it’s well worth hunting down.

1 Like

I’m on Letterboxd, same username as here. +2 for Liquorice Pizza, one of those films that you have no idea where it’s going but don’t care as the world it creates is so wonderful.

A couple of good things I’ve watched recently:
Drive my Car
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14039582/
The Worst Person In The World
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10370710/

Both great, The worst person in the world has an amazing scene near the end where one of the characters describes how he has become less materialistic with age.

1 Like

Yeah I really liked both those two films. Drive My Car has a lovely soundtrack too.

1 Like

Just finished The Wonder. Really liked it, as did Mrs Chris. Novel opening and ending and Florence Pugh turns out another stellar performance, again.

9 force feeds out of 10

So this thread is making me, as the kids say, “well jell”.
It’s 9.50pm on a Sunday night and my 9 year old daughter is still floating about the house whilst we try and get her to go to bed.
I used to be a huuuuge movie buff, wrote a movie blog and even co-ordinated a South London free film festival. Those days seem long gone and now me and my wife are stuck in a cycle of Netflix/ Amazon/Sky series as by the time we get started it’s too late to watch a film or we just can’t agree on investing time in one. I know doesn’t really make sense.
We are just about to tune into Ep 2 Season 2 of The White Lotus which I’m actually hooked on after 1 episode.
But I miss the movies. I’d love to watch Drive My Car and that Florence Pugh film looks really good (I’m a big fan too).
If we can get a sitter for Thursday then we’re going to go and see The Banshees of Inisherin, fingers crossed!

1 Like

It gets easier at some point Larry! Or you just start watching films at 10.30pm :sleeping:

2 Likes

It’s hard, people lament that Netflix etc has killed cinema but I remember going to the pictures, as we called it once a month maybe twice tops when I was young and I felt like I was going loads. There’s so much content now, don’t feel bad about the million films you don’t see, enjoy the ones you do, however or wherever that is

1 Like

Best week in cinema for me was 1985 when I went to The Goonies and Back to The Future in the same week on my own, midweek at age 12. Had just read the Goonies novel…

3 Likes

I’m the parernt of a 4 year old and in a similar boat. Cinema was a regular date night before the lad came along. Refuse to give up my movies though so more often than not I’m watching alone. Definitely a struggle to watch past 10.30pm though

2 Likes

I feel your pain, mine are 9,8 and 2, so not only do the older two keep interrupting us if we try and start something but the youngest invariably has us up before 6 the next morning. Any film over two hours we have to split over two nights.

1 Like

Cheers guys. Parental therapy through cult movies… sign me up!

If I was going to rewatch an old 70s classic one night (when kids are in bed) then The Parallax View has always been a favourite. The test scene is just a mindblowing piece of cinema and still freaks me out… The soundtrack to the film was released I think possibly for the first time last year and it’s well worth a purchase if that’s your thing just for this amazing piece of music (very David Axelrod)

2 Likes

I think the only time I’ve seen that is when it was on Moviedrome … my God, almost 30 years ago.

I’ve never seen the Parallax View, added to the list now

That’s when I first saw it as well. I used to love Moviedrome, a real Sunday late night staple that introduced me to loads of films. Alex’s Cox’s intros were so involving, I could listen to him talk about films for hours. That one you just posted is just fascinating. I wonder what the other half of the Kennedy night double bill was? My guess (without looking it up) is The Manchurian Candidate although he refers to it in his intro so maybe not.

According to t’internet this was shown twice - firstly in 1988 and then secondly as part of the Kennedy night in 1993 (not during the Moviedrome run that year). I’m pretty sure the first time I saw it was 1993.