Steel Pan Disco & House

On the funkier side…

1 Like

I’ve heard this on some mix before, can’t recall whose, but it’s great.

1 Like

One of my faves and a great album. Marcus Worgull did a couple of new mixes this year. I like the dub
Isle of Magic 2022 Remixes | Mop Mop (bandcamp.com)

This thread caught my eye in the email round up :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

why don’t I get a nice pic @GrimsbyRiviera ? Just copied and pasted the URL… ahhh i worked it out, saw someone mention it needed to be on a separate line

1 Like

sunshine stealer is great! non for sale on cogs and no digital on bandcamp as for as i can see. ant plate, can you help a good soul out for shekels of course?:slightly_smiling_face:

Pretty sure I can help you with that Chris I’ll have a rummage tomorrow

1 Like

thanks tim,that would be much appreciated!:slightly_smiling_face:

I actually have a small steel band section in my crates. I used to pick them up hoping for a quirky cover or some Island Funk, but they mostly didn’t deliver. IMHO, the best ones are augmented by other instruments (principally bass & drums) and don’t always employ the usual uptempo calypso rhythms.

Off the top of my head I reckon this version of TSOP (different to the previous version on this thread) is the most disco-fied.

2 Likes

Maybe this qualifies as Steel Pan Disco Not Disco? Incredibly enough it’s a cover of Cars by Gary Numan… Works pretty well, too! From an early 80s lp by the Katzenjammers Steel Band from Trinidad, got reissued on 7" by Red Hook in the 00’s. Subsequently made it onto a Shadow mix, and a Jarvis Cocker comp a couple of years back.

2 Likes

One more…

Not remotely house or disco style, more like funky jazz. But it’s too good to leave out. It’s on Colombia’s Studio2Stereo imprint so there loads must have been pressed, yet I’ve never seen another copy.

2 Likes
1 Like

This one’s not really ‘steel pan disco’, more of a dancefloor jazz-funk cut that features steel pan. It was a big track on the UK jazz-funk scene BITD.

1 Like

This bad boy is also available on a Rough Trade, double CD comp from the mid 00’s.
Love this one!

1 Like

This prolly qualifies disco/not disco/rare groove but here ya go……

Super track! Originally came out on a De Wolfe library album, fact fans.

1 Like

Yes. I discovered it on the Bite Harder Vol. 2 comp.
Loads of gems on those comps.

1 Like