Slamming choirs on Youtube

Thanks to Sally Rogers from AMCA for posting this on Twitter. Killer rendition of Nick Drake’s Northern Sky by the PS22 Choir. Any other recommendations?

10 Likes

I couldn’t live video find that but this is worth hearing. There’s a strong tradition of Lutheran church choirs in the U.S. upper midwest. Sometimes you can find something like this; a marriage of that tradition with the African-American spiritual. Such yearning in the vocals with a tortured drum.

57 views and at least two are me.

5 Likes

Fuck me. This is what music is for.

1 Like

@Laechelt glorious. Thank you.

1 Like

It’s incredible! So glad you liked it.:pray::notes:

Crackin’ choir-led acapella with a lead vocal that transcends.

2 Likes

this absolutely floored me. thanks!

Love the slightly melancholy choir on this. It reminds me of mid-20th Century Disney films like Bambi.

but I guess they aren’t exactly slamming, so here is one of the last things I posted on the previous forum … the legend that is Ricky Dillard.

1 Like
1 Like

this has blown my mind - actually welled up a bit watching it…cheers!!

sorry, the PS22 one. unreal…

Probs easy to mock, but it pushes my buttons, and just look at her face

Sharay Reed @ Chicago Gospel Musician Jam from 2009. Ridiculous virtuoso performance on bass.

Not sure if this counts, plus i already posted it in that ѷ!§!○∩ɀ group on facebook.

The recorded version is also great, it’s in my most recent radio show i think.

1 Like

Ricky’s outfit is incredible

There isn’t a live video to accompany this one. It’s a Christian choir from Sweden, recorded in the mid-70s. It must be one of the only tracks by a choir to get mined for beats - there’s almost a whole minute of B-boy breaks from about 3.10 onwards.

I think their name translates roughly from Swedish as ‘The Singing Clay’.

1 Like

Here’s the original 1984 video for the boogie-gospel cut Fill My Cup by London Community Gospel Choir. This is the 7" version, but there’s a 12" cut too.

1 Like

This one showed up for me this month in a 3 euro bin in Berlin of all places. Meanwhile I live ten minutes from New Jersey and hadn’t seen it around.

2 Likes

10 years ago I’d have said that was way too cheesy. Now I’m totally feeling it. Brilliant end-of-nighter.