Say you get carte-blanche at a wedding

Show me a DJ who goes into a wedding reception without Livin’ on a Prayer in his record box and I will show you a person who is waltzing into a lions’ enclosure with several pounds of delicious steak tucked into their undercrackers.

3 Likes
5 Likes

‘When they’re still full from the buffet’ :joy:

2 Likes

“Start off with Don’t You Want Me Baby by The Human League, let the gateux settle…”, genius! NOt to mention the ‘Erection Section’…

3 Likes

“Work just dried up.” :smile:

2 Likes

Well I’m happy to report it was a huge success. 2 sets in a 3 day wedding bonanza, lots of great moments, and predictably this is what brought down the house:

3 Likes

Cleaning out an old email account the other day and found a 15-year-old email to the DJ we hired for my wedding. Will spare you all the playlist, but this made me chuckle and is a sentiment that still stands today.

“Under no circumstances must you play anything by Robbie Williams, I absolutely detest him and do not want to hear anything by him on my wedding day. If you get any requests for Robbie Williams at all, use your “shield” that DJ’s have to fend bad requests off all the time with. If someone persists feel more than free to get them to see me and I will have a quiet word. I don’t know if you use CD’s or a hard disk but just don’t bring any with you.”

3 Likes

You are Gary Barlow and I claim my 5 pounds.

2 Likes

I’d like to think it wasn’t an exclusive club of two.

I also vaguely remember holding on to half of the DJ’s fee as some of kind of no-Williams insurance policy and then paying him halfway through as I was too pissed to trust myself with the money.

1 Like

This popped up in my photo memories the other day.
When i married my wife, my two stipulations were 1) we find a venue with no sound restrictions and 2) i get to sort the system out…

3 Likes

For the wedding? Or the entire marriage?

1 Like

Came on to post a wedding wildcard thread and this popped up. Realise it’s well past the date @MGG but Hot 8 Brass Band’s Sexual Healing went down an absolute storm at our wedding and all weddings I’ve played. Hot 8 Brass Band - 'Sexual Healing (Official Video)' [Marvin Gaye Cover] - YouTube
Folk tend not to realise what it is until the ones that do start singing. Lovely and shambolic.

1 Like

Done a fair few friends’ weddings and good taste cheese and well known soul and disco the only way to go - always feels right to root such evenings in that terrain with such typically wide dancefloor demographics!

1 Like

Agreed. I’m perfectly at ease with playing some quality disco, soul and funk at receptions as it works for the broadest mix of people imho. Went to a reception last year, the DJ (friend of the bride) played some pretty tough UKG - which went down really well with the couple and their immediate friends, but completely cut out virtually everyone else.

This one worked a wonder too…

2 Likes