Pop goes the remix

A repository for favourite dancing inclined remixes of usually top 40 bothering pop tarts.

Mostly because an unusual corner of my psyche gets a cheap thrill from admitting in trendy company that not only do I own a Samantha Mumba record, but also that I think it’s quite good:

1 Like

I adore this, apart from the “dream drums” bits. And it’s on the youtube channel of RJJNY who was a regular on the old forum.

And this which is rather magical, and gets particularly fantastic at the 4:45 mark

3 Likes

Well, if you’re having Cyndi Lauper then I’m definitely having Modern bloody Romance…! (the poor man’s Blue Rondo…:wink:)

The rmx of Everybody Salsa is a bona fide classic.

3 Likes

There was a point in the 90s when every chart botherer wanted a house or d’n’b rmx in an effort to create a buzz from music journos eager to burnish their convention-flouting credentials…

Edit: but some good stuff did emerge, so don’t let my jaded welt-anschau discourage further contributions…!! :grinning:

Lock the thread

2 Likes

Feel like David Morales is the king of these. Exhibit 1:

1 Like

The best of a double pack of MAW reworks of Madonna’s ode to Bill Oddie

Danny Tenaglia and John Ciafone taking the Pet Shop Boys on a deep diversion.

3 Likes

@GiuseppeV I’ve always felt there’s a good edit in this one, with a further smidge less actual Spice Girl.

1 Like

yes, I completely messed up and realized I didn’t post the dub version:

1 Like

@GiuseppeV Ha! I had no idea the dub existed. That’s saved a considerable amount of effort. Like learning how to do editing for starters.

1 Like

Exhibit 2, although I’m sure the source material doesn’t think of himself as pop.

3 Likes

This was released at the height of cool edgy remixes of Pop r’n’b hits. The remix here is by Quentin Dupieux aka Mr Oizo. I still have my promo copy in (iirc) pink vinyl :smile:

Sorry if this is too obvious, but it must be the best example of a rather dull mainstream track being transformed by a remix. I bet Van Helden wishes he hadn’t opted for a single fee rather than a royalty…

This came out around the same time as that Jamelia track. Very much of its time, but not bad once it gets going.

Very partial to this, one of Morales best:

2 Likes

Just remembered I also have an All Saints lurking on the shelf:

Exhibit 3…

3 Likes

Mark Moore played this as the sun came up at Glastonbury in 95/96. I was working on the Daniel Poole stall and we had one of the biggest after hours sound systems. Somewhat caught up in the moment we gave away all the sunglasses we were selling at dawn and was quite a sight to see scores of people in identical glasses dancing to this as the sun emerged!

2 Likes

Thanks for reminding me about Mark Moore.
Tommy Musto and Frankie Bones with Peter Daou doing his keyboard flute thing:

1 Like