1 Like

One that is so well known there’s even a mix of the two tracks:

David Bowie - Jean Genie released November '72
Sweet - Blockbuster released January '73

2 Likes

1978:

1981:

1 Like

This popped up on the you tube algorithm and has strong Blue Monday ‘influences’

The versions of these in my head sound a lot closer to each other than the actual tracks do, but I’ll post them anyway:

1969:

1980:

Well Mick wanted to sue the Dandys for Bohemian Like You’s similarity to Brown Sugar. But their lawyer said I have that are close that you appeared to have ripped off, and they let it go.

(I was trying to quote the above Dandy Warhols post.)

Both Jam & Lewis productions and both on A&M, so I’m guessing way less coincidental than most of your examples.

Just listening to this as I often do

& after 4 years realised the bassline is a bit

I’m sure the latter was influenced by the former here, and I’m not just talking about the hoo hah’s.

1972:

1984:

Haven’t checked yet, but I’m think there’s an organ pad in Two Tribes similar to the one in Wild Safari.

1 Like

1985 (on an album I realise this one is from 87)

3 Likes

But…although not out until January '73, Blockbuster was recorded before Jean Genie was released.

The common denominator could be this

1 Like

…which ^ in turn, probably inspired George Thorogood’s 1982 (advertising) hit

I think it was agreed at the time that the Blockbuster and Jean Genie was pure coincidence. They both hark back to a pretty standard riff from that British beat combo interpretation of even earlier Chicago electric blues. Apparently Bowie called Mike Chapman a cunt, but then gave him a big hug, so that’s sorted.

Aren’t George Thorogood and The Destroyers just a Bo Diddley tribute band? :grinning:

This amazing Brazilian track seems to have the same riff as Bowie’s Starman.

Came out the year before it too

3 Likes

Love Will Tear Us Apart?

1 Like

Ahh yeah I know this track, very well… and I never drew the similarities 'til now hehe =/