Music Books - old and new

While browsing the new site I noticed how much I am missing the book section of the old site. I think it was a really splendid advisor, and I would not mind it having a comeback as well.

In the meantime, some recent purchases:

Gordon King: When Does the Mind-Bending Start?: The Life and Times of World of Twist
Brox+1 - Berlin Possibility
Trevor Horn - Adventures In Modern Recording
Paul Morley- From Manchester With Love
Matt Anniss - Join The Future

3 Likes

We are aiming to build a new version of that, which will also include selected recommended books that will be sold in the store, too.

3 Likes

Oh, splendid!

Hope the old blurbs reappear, some of those were really hilarious.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips. I’m reading the Paul Morley and will pontificate on that shortly. We’ve got all the old reviews and I’d like them to see the light of day again. It’s just a matter of what format – now we’ve got these longer pieces, and ones with author interviews. Those 150 word reviews were fun tho. I’m sure we’ll squeeze them back in somewhere.

I think all these formats can happily co-exist. Just keep the short reviews as a kind of condensed archive. You might also call it a shopping list.

1 Like

Trevor Horn’s book defo on the Christmas list

I’m halfway through the DIY Soundsystem book, Dreaming in Yellow by Harry Harrison. It’s really interesting to see how the house soundsystems like them and Tonka grew and were linked to the traveller scene.

5 Likes

A much better book than I was expecting. I was at the Wedmore party for that Rozalla moment

Dug in ‘Animal House’ by Loaded editor James Brown

1 Like

Got Nightfly: The Life of Steely Dan’s Donald Fagen on top of my stack, ready to go as soon as I get through the novel I’m reading. I’ll definitely be reading the Trevor Horn book, and I’m waiting on the paperback edition of John Lurie’s book to come out.

Harold Heath - Long Relationships

I’m sure you’re all familiar with the title, and anyone who has put on a party in the back room of a pub for ten mates will surely relate.

What surprised me though, was just how much warmth and empathy Harold has for the scene and how this comes across in his writing. The tales of putting do’s on in venues owned by villains and paid gigs in awful bars are all there, but what elevates this book is the passion, past and present, he has for what he was doing. Essential reading.

11 Likes

I thought it (Long Relationships) was about the most accurate depiction of the acid house/rave scene for most of us out there. Those who never quite managed to make the top tiers. Highly recommended.

3 Likes

Just started it. Used to go to loads of DiY and Smokescreen parties which were always excellent. Didn’t go to many of the illegal ones in the woods though much to my regret nowadays.

Despite living in Sheffield, Nottingham & near Nottingham & having loads of friends in commoun I didnt go to many but I did go to to this one & now walk my dog at 6.30 am every day past where it was!

Had Harrys book for 6 months but still in the list to read!

2 Likes

A cracking read that one.

In general I love the ethos of crusty raver crews, but their music is usually fucking awful, so I’ve always seen DiY as a delightful anomaly. Respect to Velocity Press.

1 Like

Donald Fagan - Eminent Hipsters

Tracey Thorn - Bedsit Disco Queen (I’m sure her others are worth checking too, I haven’t got round to them yet unfortunately)

The Secret DJ

There are plenty of others but that’s what comes to mind at the min :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here’s what I read in 2022. Some new, some old, some great, some not so great…

A Likely Lad by Pete Doherty

Love Goes To Buildings On Fire: Five Years In New York That Changed Music Forever by Will Hermes

The Last Sultan: The Life and Times of Ahmet Ertegun by Robert Greenfield

The Rest Is Noise: Listening to the Twentieth Century by Alex Ross

Tenement Kid by Bobby Gillespie

From Manchester with Love by Paul Morley

Looking to Get Lost: Adventures in Music and Writing by Peter Guralnick

Beeswing: Losing My Way and Finding My Voice 1967-1975 by Richard Thompson

Nothin’ But a Good Time: The Spectacular Rise and Fall of Glam Metal by Justin Quirk

Sound Man by Glyn Johns

Major Labels: A History of Popular Music in Seven Genres by Kelefa Sanneh

Last Chance Texaco: Chronicles of an American Troubadour by Rickie Lee Jones

All Gates Open: The Story of Can by Rob Young, Irmin Schmidt

Playing the Bass with Three Left Hands by Will Carruthers

Black Metal: Evolution of the Cult by Dayal Patterson

The Philosophy of Modern Song by Bob Dylan

1 Like

Simon Parkes “Live at the Brixton Academy: A Riotous Life in the Music”

2 Likes

How Music Works by David Byrne

2 Likes

Anyone mentioned John Cooper Clarke’s ‘I Wanna Be Yours’ yet? Great autobiography dripping with Salford wit…

2 Likes