Lesser known Murk bangers

Fairly obsessed with Murk and frequently come across really great remixes and bits which perhaps don’t have classic status like various Funky Green Dogs/Liberty City/ interceptor stuff.

Eg I randomly came across this amazing tripped out 11 minute mix they did DSK-Feel so free (Murkatronic dub) - YouTube

What are your favourites beside those in the Reach For Me category?

1 Like

All four mixes of this:

3 Likes

Lawks that’s a killer record

This is an Oscar solo tune, probably my favourite of the stuff he’s done on his own. Still play this a lot.

One day i’ll tell you the story of the time I nearly appeared on Top of the Pops pretending to be Oscar.

6 Likes

Ha, sounds like quite the anecdote! This is great - less clued up on Oscar solo stuff than Ralph - must get familiar!

1 Like

I like this one a lot. Not sure if it was big at the time. There’s a dub too.

2 Likes

I’ll be honest, I don’t really rate their remixes at all. I think they did tons of crappy ones. As producers, they’re unmatchable, and I still play a lot of their OG productions. Funny how some studio bods are great remixers but mediocre producers (David Morales perhaps the best example) or good producers but mediocre remixers (see above). I can’t think of many that did both to a degree of competence (Steve Silk Hurley the standout IMO).

Having said that, I do still play this.

2 Likes

Yes true that talents seem to weight one way or another. Sometimes people also do too many remixes, and I think that’s probably the case with Murk.

That’s Romanthony one is belter.

I have no idea if this was big at the time (I was 12 and listening to Green Day) but this one is a favourite.

4 Likes

That was one of the last really good releases on their label, so yeah it’s known and appreciated. I just remembered another great remix(having slated them for their terrible remixes an hour ago!)

6 Likes

One from 93

2 Likes

That’s a firm favourite!!

1 Like

They did a few tracks with Bobby Pruit singing. That man knows how to bellow.

This Oscar G solo project is a bit different from their trademark sound then:

3 Likes

This was a decent collection of their remixes.

Can get the vinyl cheap if needed. Otherwise best to look for other releases for digital as the CD was mixed.

2 Likes

This is the only remix of any of their originals that I may play over the original. By Angel Moraes.

2 Likes

I commissioned that mix! Angel was a lovely man, miss him terribly.

8 Likes

That Discipline one is a monster

Murk definitely had a winning formula of catchy vocal & bottom end. This was an Oscar G fav of mine from back in the day

4 Likes

Frankie Knuckles surely? He’s God Tier in my mind. :wink:

Hmm, personally I think he’s borderline. Generally speaking, and there are obvious exceptions, his remixes were superior to the productions. The candidate I didn’t mention but should have is MAW, who did both brilliantly. Frankie definitely made some classics, but I’d put them in a generous handful, in comparison to his remixes.

1 Like

Mood II Swing perhaps?

3 Likes