Good documentaries

What are your favourite factual films? I find myself going on youtube and saying “OK internet, entertain me!” and not finding anything good… :thinking:

These are all music related so you might have seen them all but my friend Yannick Robyns from Berlin created a YouTube playlist with loads of music related documentaries on it which I thought was pretty coo.

4 Likes

i feel there’s a place for John here on DJH :slight_smile:

i love documentaries that reveal/re-write history

6 Likes

TraumaZone on iPlayer. Adam Curtis does 80s & 90s Russia. All archive footage, no narration. It’s brilliantly put together. Even includes (a tiny tiny amount of) disco.

That “John Contacts Aliens” one has one hell of a twist if I remember it right.

1 Like

You don’t necessarily need to be into Hip Hop to love this documentary. All about one of the greatest breaking crews of all time. A fantastic watch.

4 Likes

New Graham Hancock thing on Netflix is good, and along those lines. Worth a look

1 Like

This one is proper

4 Likes

So much good stuff here already. Added loads to my watch-later list. Kicking off with the Front 242 one.
“rural electronics whiz” sounds like more-shed-than-man! :nerd_face:

Classic graffiti documentary:

3 Likes

Survive And Advance - on Disney

I have absolutely no interest in basketball however this is glorious

if it was made into a film you would dismiss it as being too far fetched

1 Like

When Were Kings and The King Of Kong are obvious ones if you haven’t seen them

1 Like

Our local arts centre in Dundee is screening Paris is Burning next week. Tickets booked. Be great to see it on a big screen

4 Likes

Street Gang: How We Got To Sesame Street. It’s about the creation of Sesame Street in the context of the civil rights movement. I’m not sure how I managed to watch this but think I’ve got it downloaded somewhere if anyone is interested. There’s a trailer here on IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5618690/

Another recommendation for John Was Trying To Contact Aliens from me. Very lovely.

5 Likes

Doesn’t count but a few lads I know back in Matlock thought Shane Meadows ‘Dead Mans Shoes’ was a documentary… FFS

Conversation elsewhere about grafters reminded me of this timeless classic. I think one of them went onto become Primal Screams in-house photographer and then a war photographer in Nicaragua or somewhere like that.

Edit: https://louderthanwar.com/ltw-talk-to-grant-fleming/

2 Likes

Good lad is Grant. Fair play on him.

1 Like

Recently watched The Fire Within:A Requiem for Katia and Maurice Krafft.

It’s on iPlayer. Loved it. For those that don’t know, the Krafft’s were a couple obsessed with volcanos. Amazing footage and great story telling from Werner Herzog.

There’s another doc about them called the ‘fire of love’. Not seen it but it’s also meant to be very good. One half of Air did the soundtrack.

2 Likes

Im sure enoughs been said about this place. Heres the Beebs version…

(glad I got to go, quite a few times, even if it wasnt in its heyday)

2 Likes

A documentary about the ZX Spectrum and the Syd Barrett of computer programming - Jet Set Willy creator - Matthew Smith. Starts off odd but picks up, interesting soundtrack to boot

Yeah this class, cheers for the reminder!

1 Like