DjHistory Interviews

Also Lady Miss Kier from Deee-Lite, i bet she has a few tales to tell.

2 Likes

No never interviewed him or met him. But I do know that when he was young he went to Grimsby’s only private school, so I don’t know if he’s from the same area as me or not, but he mentioned it in an interview once.

I knew Kier when I lived in New York and she lived in Brixton for a while, but I’ve lost touch with her. But you’re right she’d be a great interviewee.

1 Like

Steve Middleton works for the BBC now. I’ve heard him credited for ‘executive production’ on several podcasts.

1 Like

I started to read this as Lady Miss Kier went to Grimsbys only private school which confused me as I thought she went to school in Skegness

5 Likes

A record made by someone who attended a private school in Grimsby? I’m no expert, but surely you can’t get much more Balearic than that?

3 Likes

This looks great - thanks for mentioning it…

1 Like

apologies if they’ve been interviewed before but it’d be great to read a bit from some of the folks who’ve mastered and cut lacquers for all of these records we’ve fallen in love with.

i think george peckham (‘porky’) is still around?

man, i’m sure i bought at least 1000 records that were meh but the good folks at the exchange made them jump out of the speakers. I know nilz passed a number of years back, and yep, there’s a good interview with simon here.

maybe there’s others in the more technical areas that don’t immediately jump to mind and would make for interesting reads.

3 Likes

Can intro you to Rolo if needed mate.

I know there’s probsbly more than one Balearo disco dude from Grantham, but were you the guy I spoke to about B.A.D. on Twitter?

Thanks for the DM. Is it your communication with me you don’t want to be known? Or your love of B.A.D.? :wink:

1 Like

Very proud to :heart: B.A.D.

I know I was 15 & living in Grantham but 1st got into them hearing Caeser Del Mero play Hollywood Boulverd dub at Ku in 86 :rofl:

2 Likes

Pleased to hear it!

You’d be surprised how naff BAD are widely considered amongst people who think Chris Rea is not naff.:wink:

I was 16 and living in Bedford, so not that different.

As previously discussed, my first encounter with Mr Weatherall was at a BAD gig.

1 Like

I did an interview with Adrian sometime in the ‘90s. I remember he got a bit miffed ‘cos I asked some dumb question about how some of his remixes were so good and some, to my ears, unlistenable - I think I was referring to the Nadjma one. I’ll try to find the clipping of the published result. Anyway, the bizarre thing is that a few weeks later I was cleaning my studio and the damn vacuum sucked the tape out of the cassette. (Or I was careless.) Beware of a clean studio! I rewound the tape into the shell and even spliced it back together where it had broken. And splicing a cassette is a delicate operation even with a proper block. It then sounded like a very strange and garbled remix of the conversation. That’ll teach me.

As it happens, I really do adore Adrian and have done since early days. In 1987 or ‘88, I and two other besotted DJs, Robert Barone and Ernie Munson, put on a whole night of nothing but On-U Sound, and I guess a few of the remixes available but I don’t think there was much around then, at the DNA club in San Francisco, one of the more well regarded venues at the time. We plugged the thing pretty well, radio and print, and had high expectations, even invited Adrian - but there was a horrible heatwave that night. Temperature was up near 100 degrees inside the club, around 80 outside. San Franciscans do not like heat! Almost no one came. Well, sometimes you have to suffer for your art.

1 Like

He’s a great interviewee. I interviewed him for Mixmag about ten years ago, in the days when they let me suggest all kinds of weirdos for features in the magazine (I also did BBC Radiophonic Workshop for one issue)

2 Likes

And, if you don’t mind me saying so, you’re a great interviewer. I frequently dip into The Record Players and learn something new. Loved the Johnny Dynell interview up on the reading part of this site. Thanks.

Thanks Jonathan. I’m just setting up a new interview with Johnny atm, there’s a lot we didn’t explore in the first interview. Will keep you posted.

Bill have you still got an interview with Eddie Richards somewhere?

1 Like

Yes I do. I have a lot that still haven’t been made available yet. It’s on the list, for sure.

1 Like

Is this Hans, brother of Nils, from Grimsby?

Nils’ brother sounds like an absolute legend, but no, I’m from Adelaide.

Thanks, that’s good news about the Eddie Richards interview. :+1: :+1:. I was listening to the Colin Dale bit on NTS and it got me thinking about DJs who started out playing fairly diverse and ended up in a much more niche area.