Burt Bacharach appreciation thread

Burt Bacharach died today, aged 93.

So many great tracks to choose from…

Aretha Franklin - I Say A Little Prayer: her very best performance! - YouTube

2 Likes

Tried to link a YT video to that last post, but I think it only shows as a hyperlink :confused:

3 Likes

He was 94. :wink:

Wonder what they’ll play at his funeral.

RIP.

1 Like

Always had a soft spot for this, something to do with hearing it as a kid on Radio 2 in our kitchen whilst mum was doing the ironing…

5 Likes

Someone else can post “South American Getaway”:

2 Likes

Now you’re talking…!

2 Likes

And this, some super-funky soul from Soul Sister #1

4 Likes
1 Like

local heroes:

1 Like

Yes! Keep 'em coming! I’d forgotten that 5th Dimension track :+1:

Dionne Warwick did what must be THE definitive version of Walk On By, but this sprawling 12 minute masterpiece by Isaac Hayes is certainly one of the best. It must be one of the most sampled tracks in the history of hip hop. A magnificent arrangement - the languid groove, the dirty guitar, the backing vox…

2 Likes

Another beautiful arrangement which really shows off Bacharach’s musicality… I’m not a massive fan of The Stylistics’ brand of sweet soul, but I love their version of this track which has originally been recorded several years earlier by Dionne Warwick.

2 Likes
1 Like

Two more from this album:
Love the slightly off-time and off-key singing here:

2 Likes

The Dells makin’ it funky with Charles Stepney producing.

2 Likes

Never heard this one before. They really make it their own :+1:

1 Like

Really like that instrumental, and the Pacific Highway one that you shared previously. As for his vocals… I always fancied that I was his equal and, in this respect at least, it’s true…! :grinning:

One of my favourite Burt tracks, unfortunately it seems to be largely forgotten. It’s also one of Dionne’s most soulful performances, I reckon. I think it got spins on the Popcorn scene.

2 Likes

This is nice! The more I listen to Dionne the more I love her, and I’m looking to get more “popcorn” in my life.:wink:

The Dells’ “I Just Don’t Know What to the with Myself” is the only time I’ve heard it done up-tempo. Seems like it’s usually done slower and s l o w e r…

1 Like

I’ve gotta include this one. H/t to Francois K for putting it in his Choice comp.

2 Likes