Best live versions

I used to love live albums and had a solid tape collection of dodgy concert bootlegs. Then I began to value studio production over live improvisation and haven’t listened to a live album in years. But I heard this Prince version in the car the other day and remembered how good some live versions can be. So, what are your best live recordings? Three to start off with:

Early days Whistlebump classic at the Clinic:

3 Likes
3 Likes

this one is amazing mate

4 Likes

This entire record, really. Can’t beat that live band - and yes I know she played this on Last Waltz, and on that recent Dylan movie. Shadows & Light is better. Listen to that Pastorius bass line…

Bonus clip with the full band:

Pat Matheny, Lyle Mays, Jaco, Michael Brecker, Don Alias, and of course the genius that is Joni Mitchell…

5 Likes

Got the 12 after hearing this version but it wasn’t on it!

1 Like

Love that! And having now checked the other versions, agree this is far superior

2 Likes

God - the gospel bit in the middle of this with the crowd singing along. Chills - this whole album is just spectacular. Oh to have a time machine and some good acid…

2 Likes

Talking of Sylvester live any excuse to post this

2 Likes

Hugh Masekela - Welcome to South Africa - YouTube This version of Masekela’s Stimela is amazing. Watched this on repeat when my son was really wee at silly o’clock in the morning.

1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes

I’m forever hoping they will release a better quality version of this. This is a rock band in full lockstep, perfection - and I don’t even like their music that much.

Picked this album up in my local 2nd hand record shop for a song too (bad pun) What a find

1 Like
5 Likes
2 Likes

Plus of course my old favourite from Montreux '86 with the Haring murals thrown in for free…

1 Like
3 Likes

The best of the best.

2 Likes